Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Up here in the Great White North, this past weekend was our Thanksgiving. I hosted for the first time ever (well, H& Little G and I hosted). We had my parents, my Grandmother, my Father in Law, my brother & his wife and his wife's sister for dinner. I made a 14lb turkey, sausage & apple stuffing, home-made cranberry sauce and mini sea salt and caramel apple hand pies. I got the hand pie recipe from pinterest.com and it turned out fantastic! The rest of the guests contributed food to round out the meal. It was amazing. The turkey was fabulous as was all of the food, and it was great to have the family together.

It was a pretty jam-packed weekend - Saturday was my Grandmother's 85th birthday. We had a surprise party for her at one of her favourite restaurants. There were about 40 of us there. It's been a long time since that many of the family have come together. (My Mom is one of eleven kids and there were four generations of the family there).

Sunday was the day we hosted dinner although Monday is the 'real' Thanksgiving day. On Monday, we went to a birthday party for a two year old.It was pretty fun watching her open all of her presents and then seeing Little G and her playing together. They would be fighting over a toy and then M would lean over and hug G to say sorry. So cute!

The rest of October is pretty busy as well, we have something going basically every weekend. Which reminds me I need to book a hotel room for our anniversary present. H and I are going away for a weekend to see a play and Little G is staying with my folks.

Hmm, let's see what else is new? Even though G's birthday is a couple of months away, she is already entering the terrible twos. The meltdowns are a sight to behold. When she gets going and stamping her feet I have to remind myself not to laugh at her. I have been trying the "i hear you and am here for you when you're ready" routine with her and it seems to work when we're at home. We haven't experienced the meltdown in public yet, so I am trying to prepare myself and figure out how to handle that as well.

G has a lot of obsessions as well... she absolutely has to wear her rain boots and rain coat to daycare every day. And, she is now flipping out if I try to put a shirt on her that she doesn't approve. She definitely knows what she wants and isn't afraid to let us know. I wonder if this is any indication of what she'll be like as a teenager?

Things with me are going ok. I was supposed to be losing weight, but the scale keeps moving in the wrong direction. I know it's my fault and I'm not doing what I should be doing, but I just can't find the motivation anywhere. I am going to zumba at least once a week so I'm starting to do something. I just need to get my shit together so that I can live the life I want.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to read your updates, and you must have cooked forever (sounds delicious!) with all those guests! I hear you on the terrible two approaching, with Oliver what works seems to be a loving hug, I go down to his level and say "do you want mamma to give you a hug?" and generally he runs to me a sobs for a while on my shoulder till he's calm again.
    I wish I knew how to help you on losing weight and give you some motivation, but I don't. Another blogger I read (Alex) found this online boot camp and she swears by it! Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete